Monday, July 9, 2007

For Your Ear Hole: Pharoahe Monch - Desire

Fresh off his white hot performance on Amy Winehouse's Rehab remix, Pharoahe Monch has finally dropped his sophomore joint, Desire, a full eight years after Internal Affairs. The highly slept-on MC who falls somewhere between treble voiced crooner and abrasive drill instructor lives up to any and all anticipation on this long awaited album. Desire is simultaneously a grimy political manifesto and a soulful, head-nodding good time; addressing topics from Iraq to getting in a girl's Myspace top eight. In either case, Pharoahe's lyrical puns are in top form, as usual. In the synth-heavy Agent Orange, he spits lines such as, "Pissed on the motherfucking White House lawn / I threw a rock, then I ran / Cause I couldn't stand anymore within the grip of the man / Y'all wanna ask me who's sane / These biological gasses are eating my brain", while we get the lighter side of Monch on Desire's title track: "Understand, New York City respects my game like Joe Namath / And I protect my name like your anus / In prison, y'all don't hear me". The metaphorical mastermind from Organized Konfusion flows over beats both haunting and banging in this complete package of what hip-hop could be in the modern age. Simon says, "Turn that the @#$% up." (A-)

No comments: